In the immediate vicinity of the village of Tavernelle, in the municipality of Panicale, stands the Shrine of Our Lady of Mongiovino, which tradition tells privileged place of many miraculous events.
The church, built from the first half of the 500 models of Bramante is probably the greatest example of fresco decoration of the second half of the sixteenth century in Umbria, enriched by the rich decorations of the jambs of the arches of the portals.
In one of the four side chapels houses the venerated image of the Madonna and Child Enthroned, from the Umbrian school of the fourteenth century. Was originally part of a newsstand in the country.
The painting have been attributed many miracles and, in particular, those that involved the shepherdess Andreana, to which the Virgin appeared asking for greater reverence for the kiosk. Not believed, Andreana was invited to go to the Virgin by the inhabitants of the castle of Mongiovino bringing in the head a pitcher full of water with the opening facing downwards from which water flowed, miracle followed by numerous others.
In 1513, the apparition was officially recognized by a papal bull of Leo X in 1524, took off in the construction of the sanctuary. Devotion to the image is evidenced by the numerous "ex voto" in silver, candles and paintings donated to the faithful Virgin.
Of particular interest are the bell tower which flanks the church (XVIII cent.), The small chapel of San Martino and the Pious homes.
The architectural complex became a model for other churches, such as Santa Maria Nuova, in Cortona, designed by the "Vasari".